Getting Organized in Order to Reach Your Business & Personal Goals

Profile Image for Jacquie R. Jacquie
  • Sun, Jan 11, 2009 12:26 PM

What organizing or time management goal do you have this year? 

My goal is to manage my schedule more efficiently so that I don't have to spend as much time working in my home office on the weekends!  What's yours?

Did you know that January is Get Organized Month? Getting organized is near the top of many people's resolution lists, so it's likely that it's on yours too!

If getting organized is one of the top 5 goals you'd like to accomplish this year, here are 8 tips to help you get started towards meeting this goal and remaining clutter-free. 

1. Begin by setting your organizing goals. Write them down and be specific.

2. Schedule some uninterrupted time to organize and enlist the help of a friend or hire a professional organizer.

3. When you're ready to begin organizing, have some containers or boxes ready for sorting. Everything will need to be sorted into categories, e.g. Keep, Donate, Trash, Recycle, Sell, etc.

4. During the decision making process, avoid keeping items that need to be repaired, unless you plan on taking them to be fixed immediately. Discard stained or torn items. Donate items you no longer use or love. If something doesn't belong to you, write a note to call the person to have them pick it up!

5. Try to stay focused. If you come across items that you haven't seen in a while, try not to spend 15 minutes reminiscing!

6. Only purchase containers, shelves and other organizers when all sorting has been done and you can see what's left to organize.

7. When it's finally time to organize, be sure to find or create a home for everything. Set up systems and begin using them every day. If your space is personalized to the way you live, with a little maintenance, you can begin to live clutter-free.

8. Finally, to avoid clutter re-accumulation, purge regularly and shop more discriminatory. Buy only what you need, and unless it's a special occasion, reward yourself with something special only when you have reached a personal or professional goal.

Happy New Year!

An excerpt from  my article "8 Tips to Organized Success and a Clutter-Free New Year."

Copyright 2008 by Jacquie Ross, CastAway the Clutter!  Click here to read the complete article.

Replies to this Topic

Girl, I wish I could fly you here and let a team redo my storage room.  I need containers & a trash bin .....

Tks for good info

Profile Image for Jacquie R. Jacquie
  • Thu, Jan 22, 2009 4:35 PM

You're welcome LaVerne! Contact me privately if you'd like to find an organizer in your area.  Take care!

Jacquie

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

FVRD2Win Global Initiatives